As of 1st January 2020 all of our products will be both Cosmos and Ecocert accredited. This has been a 2 year journey for us. We chose to go with Cosmos and Ecocert as we believe that they are the most credible credentials for natural beauty within the beauty industry and the customer, who is increasingly informed and aware, recognises them too.
We are moving our full range of products to this standard, so this is not an exercise in greenwashing a small part of our range, it is a genuine commitment to be leaders in the natural sphere.
COSMOS NATURAL STANDARD
- The Cosmos standard was developed by an independent, not-for-profit organisation, based in Brussels. The ultimate aim of Cosmos is to safeguard the welfare of the environment and of people. Ensuring that customers have clear and transparent information enables the customer to become an actor for sustainable development.
- To gain Cosmos accreditation we have re-formulated our entire product range, ensuring that only Cosmos-approved ingredients are used in the manufacture of our products.
- The Cosmos standard divides the type of ingredients used in cosmetic products into five categories and specifies the requirements for each. Here they are with some of the key standards:
- Physically processed agro-ingredients – no GMOs are permitted, no critically endangered plant materials, are permitted.
- Chemically processed agro-ingredients – same as above, and the chemical treatments must respect the principles of Green Chemistry with the resulting ingredients complying with strict limitations of toxicity and biodegradability;
- Water – must comply with hygienic standards;
- Minerals and ingredients of mineral origin – must be of natural origin and may be modified with simple chemical reactions;
- Other ingredients – a very limited list of preservatives and some other ingredients and petrochemical moieties are temporarily allowed and are reviewed on a regular basis, taking into account availability of acceptable alternatives.
- We also ensure that our packaging is minimised and is environmentally friendly
- We have a sustainable environmental and waste management plan for our factory.
- Only environmentally sustainable cleaning agents may be used for factory and equipment cleaning.
- Finally, all the ingredients and products produced to the Cosmos standard, and our own factory, have to be certified by an authorised and independent certification body, Ecocert, so that our customers can have confidence in what they are buying from us.